GIMP is GNU Image Manipulation Program. It’s most popular open-source and cross platform application for image manipulation. This tutorial will show you how to install the latest Gimp on CentOS 8.
It can use to optimize images, convert the types of images and much more. GIMP is available for Linux, Windows, macOS, and FreeBSD etc. You can consider GIMP as an alternative of Adobe Photoshop.
You must logged in as root or user account with sudo privileges.
Step 1 – Install GIMP on CentOS 8
By default, the GIMP packages are available with the AppStream repository added during CentOS 8 installation.
You would simply execute the below command to install:
sudo dnf -y install gimp
Step 2 – Check Installation
Confirm the installation by checking the version of GIMP:
sudo dnf info gimp
Installed Packages Name : gimp Epoch : 2 Version : 2.10.12 Release : 3.module_f30+6174+bc22f659 Architecture : x86_64 Size : 115 M Source : gimp-2.10.12-3.module_f30+6174+bc22f659.src.rpm Repository : @System From repo : updates-modular Summary : GNU Image Manipulation Program URL : http://www.gimp.org/ License : GPLv3+ and GPLv3
Step 3 – Start GIMP Application
At this stage, GIMP application is installed on your CentOS system. You can start it by the clicking on Activities and search
gimp keyword and click on GIMP icon. If you are familiar with command line than you can start it by typing
gimp on your terminal.
It will show like this:
Following the few important features of GIMP:
- File Formats
- SVG path import/export
- Load, display, convert, save to many file formats
- File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others
- Load and save animations in a convenient frame-as-layer format
- Photo enhancement, digital retouching, and customizable Interface.
- Advanced Manipulation
- Layers and channels
- Multiple Undo/Redo
- Fully alpha channel support
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- Selection tools including rectangle, rounded rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy
- Advanced scripting capabilities (Scheme, Python, Perl).
- More Than 100 plugins already available.
- Hardware Support
You have learned how to install the GIMP application on the CentOS 8 system. To know more about GIMP 2.1 visit release note.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below.