GIMP is GNU Image Manipulation Program. It’s most popular open-source and cross platform application for image manipulation. It can use to optimize images, convert the types of images and much more. GIMP is available for Linux, Windows, macOS, and FreeBSD etc. This tutorial will show you how to install the latest Gimp on Debian 10.
You must logged in as root or user account with sudo privileges.
Step 1 – Update Package Index
First of all update the package index by running below command:
sudo apt update
Step 2 – Installing GIMP
By default, the Debian standard repository includes the
gimp package with old version. So we will install it using the
snap package utility.
Before going ahead make sure you have installed snap package manager on your Debian system:
sudo apt install snapd
You would simply execute the below command to install:
sudo snap install gimp
Step 3 – Start GIMP Application
At this stage, GIMP application is installed on your Debian system. You can start it by the clicking on Activities and search
gimp keyword and click on GIMP icon. If you are familiar with command line than you can start it by typing
gimp on your terminal.
It will show like this:
If you would like to uninstall the GIMP application you can do it easily. Use the below command to remove the GIMP application and all dependencies from your system.
sudo remove gimp
Following the few important features of GIMP:
- File Formats
- SVG path import/export
- Load, display, convert, save to many file formats
- File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others
- Load and save animations in a convenient frame-as-layer format
- Photo enhancement, digital retouching, and customizable Interface.
- Advanced Manipulation
- Layers and channels
- Multiple Undo/Redo
- Fully alpha channel support
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- Selection tools including rectangle, rounded rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy
- Advanced scripting capabilities (Scheme, Python, Perl).
- More Than 100 plugins already available.
- Hardware Support
You have learned how to install the GIMP application on the Debian 10 system. To know more about GIMP 2.1 visit release note.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below.