GIMP is popular cross-platform and open-source application for image manipulation. It’s can be use to optimize images, convert the types of images and much more. GIMP is available for Linux, Windows, macOS, and FreeBSD etc. In this guide you will learn how to install the latest Gimp on Ubuntu 22.04.
How to Install GIMP on Ubuntu 22.04
Peform the following steps to install GIMP on Ubuntu 22.04:
Step 1 – Prerequisites
You must logged in as root or user account with sudo privileges.
Step 2 – Update System
First of all update the package index by running below command:
sudo apt update && upgrade -y
Step 3 – Install GIMP
By default, the Ubuntu standard repository includes the
gimp package on Ubuntu 22.04.
We will install it using the apt package manager. You would simply execute the below command to install:
sudo apt install gimp -y
Step 4 – Start GIMP Application
That’s it, GIMP application is installed on your Ubuntu system. To start it click on Activities and search
gimp keyword and click on GIMP icon. If you are familiar with command line than you can start it by typing
gimp on your terminal.
It will show like at initially:
You can upgrade GIMP package whenever the new update is available, run the following command.
sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade
If you would like to uninstall the GIMP application you can do it easily. Use the below command to remove the GIMP application and all dependencies from your system.
sudo apt-get purge gimp gimp-plugin-registry
At last, you can run the below command to remove any unused files and free up disk space.
sudo apt-get autoremove
Following the few important features of GIMP:
- File Formats
- SVG path import/export
- Load, display, convert, save to many file formats
- File formats supported include bmp, gif, jpeg, mng, pcx, pdf, png, ps, psd, svg, tiff, tga, xpm, and many others
- Load and save animations in a convenient frame-as-layer format
- Photo enhancement, digital retouching, and customizable Interface.
- Advanced Manipulation
- Layers and channels
- Multiple Undo/Redo
- Fully alpha channel support
- Transformation tools including rotate, scale, shear and flip
- Selection tools including rectangle, rounded rectangle, ellipse, free, fuzzy
- Advanced scripting capabilities (Scheme, Python, Perl).
- More Than 100 plugins already available.
- Hardware Support
You have learned how to install the GIMP application on the Ubuntu 22.04 system. To know more about GIMP 2.10 visit release note.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment below.
Leave a Reply