Ubuntu 18.04 LTS released on 26th April 2018. Ubuntu 18.04 is codenamed Bionic Beaver. This is the latest LTS release of Ubuntu after the release of Ubuntu 17.10.
Download Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver)
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) is available for download in Desktop and server editions.
Ubuntu Upgrade Steps
You can find upgrade steps to Ubuntu 18.04 on below link:
New features in Ubuntu 18.04
1. Boot speed boost : In Ubuntu 18.04, using systemd’s features, bottlenecks will be identified and tackled to boot Bionic as quickly as possible.
2. GNOME 3.28 : A customized GNOME version used in Ubuntu 17.10.
Similarly, Ubuntu 18.04 is using customized GNOME 3.28 version
3. Support Color Emoji : Till last version of Ubuntu only supports monochrome emojis. The Ubuntu 18.04 is going to support native color emoji. So it will looks good.
4. Minimal Installation : You can see a minimal installation option when you install 18.04. So, this will only install required utilities, packages and browsers. Therefore, You can install applications of your choice manually with latest version.
5. Linux Kernel 4.15 : Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver is using Linux Kernel 4.15 release.
6. Xorg Default Server Again : In Ubuntu 17.10 team switched to the newer Wayland as the default display server. Due to issue of applications work on Wayland they again switched to use Xorg as a default graphics server. Wayland is still available as an option and users have option to switch to the display server of their choice.
7. New installer for Ubuntu 18.04 : Up to Ubuntu last version, Ubuntu was using Debian’s text-based installer for its server editions. But, Ubuntu 18.04 is using its own the new subiquity installer.
8. Minor Look Change : In Ubuntu 18.04 has slightly changed the look of file manager, added welcome screen and also improved help pages and given how to do basic things in GNOME desktop.